Click here to download a map of the
Audubon Center of the North Woods' trail and facilities
strive to provide the best environmental experiences for the thousands of K-12 students who come to our center from across
the state. Our highest quality environmental education programs
along with our optimal location, makes us not only the best choice
for environmental programming reasons, but for lower travel cost
reasons as well-something we all can appreciate!
also serve as a field campus for many teacher
training opportunities through Hamline University's Center
for Global Environmental Education and offer graduate courses
tailored to educators seeking either a Certificate or Master's Degree
in Environmental Education. In addition, we are also a field campus
for Northland College, Inver
Hills Community College and other post-secondary institutions.
The Audubon Center of the North Woods also authorizes a number of Minnesota Charter Schools. As an authorizer, the Center enters into contracts with the schools we authorize, specifying academic, financial and governance/operational performance expectations. To ensure these expectations are met and public interest is served, authorizers such as the Audubon Center of the North Woods oversee the contracts which allow charters to exist and evaluate each school’s performance prior to contract renewal. In addition, through the contract, the Center sets environmental education expectations with the school as a means to advance our mission. For more information about the Audubon Center of the North Wood’s authorizing activities or about the schools that the Center authorizes, please view our website: www.auduboncharterschools.org.
Audubon Center, in conjunction with Elderhostel,
Inc., also offers Elderhostel Programs designed for people 55 and
older including Intergenerational Elderhostels, creating the opportunity
for grandchildren to have fun with their grandparents in the north
AUDUBON CENTER HISTORY
In the 1800's, the Audubon Center property was used by local
Ojibwe families for hunting and gathering.
of the forest were logged prior to the Hinckley Fire (1894),
and the land was farmed under the Schwyzer family ownership
for the first half of the twentieth century.
1968 this land was bequeathed to the National
Audubon Society by Dr. Marguerite Schwyzer. The land was
then transferred to the Audubon Center of the North Woods,
a separate private, 501(c) non-profit organization. Since
that time, the Audubon Center has served as a residential
and day use education facility for small groups of international
students, college students, adults, and school groups.